Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Ghosts, poltergeists and dealing with them

I have always wondered if ghosts exist and why some people report encounters with ghosts and other paranormal stuff that I do not perceive with my scientific brain.  If one searches in Youtube for "poltergeists caught on tape", some of the videos seem real. i doubt that all the videos are made up.

So I started asking my trusted friends if they have had any experiences with ghosts. I tend to ask these questions only to people who meditate for an hour and half or more, so that I have a better chance of getting closer to the truth.  My Brazillian friend Marina is a good person to talk to on these things.

Interestingly,  a saintly man Srila Prabhupada reports that he had to deal with ghosts. Here is the story:

Ghosts and Fearlessly Chanting the Maha Mantra

Srutakirti das: Being with Srila Prabhupada was always relishable. I especially enjoyed when he gave us a glimpse of his life before coming to America. Sharing his pastimes was a wonderful expression of his love for us. Srila Prabhupada also took great pleasure in describing different aspects of his life with his disciples. One afternoon he began describing to Paramahamsa and me about his life as a sannyasi.
"While I was living in Vrndavana," Srila Prabhupada said. "Sometimes I would go to Delhi for a few days to make arrangements with my publisher. I would stay in one room during these periods. During the winter, it was so cold. I would have to crack a thin layer of ice with my lota in my bucket of bath water. Then I would bathe with that water."
At Bhaktivedanta Manor, a few ladies came to visit Srila Prabhupada on a number of occasions. They knew His Divine Grace was a very saintly person. They were hoping that he could help them solve their predicament. They described to Srila Prabhupada how poltergeists had inhabited their flat. They had tried many things to rid their home of the pesky spirits, but nothing worked. They informed Srila Prabhupada that different items were being broken, while being tossed around the rooms. One of the women asked Srila Prabhupada if there was any particular prayer or mantra they could chant to force the entities to leave the premises forever. It was no surprise to his disciples when Srila Prabhupada advised them to chant the Maha-Mantra. He sweetly told us of his own experience with the "supernatural." He described that when he was a grihasta, he bought a large haunted house in Calcutta for a very good price.
"No one would buy the place," Srila Prabhupada said smiling. "It was a very nice, big house, but because it was haunted, everyone was afraid. So, I bought it and lived there. Sometimes, I remember sitting down and you could see things moving about in the house. I would sit in my chair and chant 'Hare Krsna.' One time, one of my servants came up to me and said, 'Swamiji, how can you stay here with these ghosts?' I told him there was nothing to worry about. Just chant Hare Krsna. So, I was living there and so many things would go on, but nothing frightened me."

No comments:

Post a Comment