Friday, May 23, 2014

Delhi rape, values in life


On Dec 25, 2012 1:13 PM, "Sudhakar Govindavajhala"  wrote:
>
> Dear Sir,
>
> Thank you for your note.  I have been pondering about the recent Delhi rape in a moving bus, India, and beyond.  I write the note below with utmost humility with a hope to communicate to like minded people, get some solace and learn from your collective experience.
>
> The most fundamental problem is that we as  a society and individuals have forgotten our values.   These days, for most of the people it is all about sense gratification, money and return on investment. What was Gandhi's return on investment?
>
> I have been taking up charitable activities and social activities for the greater common Good. Somehow my anguish do good and to raise money to support for good causes was not shared by people whose help I seek in the form of their physical labor, intellectual labor, time and money.  That is when I have come to realize that the most fundamental problem is the lack of consciousness and sensitivity on the parts of individuals who make up the society.  Unless the consciousness of individuals and hence society at large changes, despite the economic improvements, the society is bound to degenerate into a society of cats and dogs.
>
> I live in New York and there is economic development and no hunger. However, people are still suffering from depression, insecurity, very narrow definition of happiness, etc.   The official statistic is that 6.7% of U.S. adult population have suffered depression (12-month prevalence); 16.5% being the life time prevalence. Modern medicine is unable to present a real cure. The psychotropic drugs have effect for a few days, then they get you addicted, leading to a need for higher potency drugs and a downward spiral.
>
> I have been lucky enough to have been exposed to Yoga and Meditation. My personal experience and that of observing friends who meditate, gives me the conviction that Yoga and meditation present real solutions of the ills identified above. In particular, it changes consciousness and makes people sensitive. It helps you get rid of one's narrow identities. 
>
> I am collaborating with friends to establish a center of excellence on Meditation and Yoga in New Jersey. I distribute books on meditation to family, friends and public, usually requesting people to make a  $10 donation. I reach out to mainstream white, black and brown people in America on the benefits of Yoga and meditation hoping that they will calm down, look inward, and understand that happiness is not in more physical luxuries, but is inwards --- inside the Self.  When you accost them on the road, they are not necessarily receptive.   So we are keeping Yoga and meditation books in every hotel room in America. It was already successful in California.
>
> It is now I discover how much prejudice people (Indians and Americans) have!  My high flying friends --- from IIT, Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, cannot contribute 100$  which would buy 25 books for the project. I guess I have not articulated the return on investment. On the other hand, my team is able to raise 100$ from a person who pushes carts in the grocery store (who would make about 70$ per day). The other day when I was keeping a books table in a fair, the person next to me was able to sell more lottery tickets for prizes worth 50$ than I could sell Yoga, Meditation and other self development books for adults and children.
Btw, by yoga I am not referring to th indian gymnastics you see in commercial yoga centers. A prerequisite for yoga is equipoise.
>
>  A good number of times, my friends somehow believe in science and medicine without proof, but do not want even spend 10 minutes on self-development experiments like meditation. My cousin is spending 20% of his salary on depression drugs for his child. Somehow the 25 year child has time for TV, Internet etc., but not 2 minutes to meditate everyday. 
>
> My friends show me (silly) articles against meditation and Yoga in New York Times, but do not want to try it. Such is the nature of our society and civilization. There is a fundamental degeneration in the society where most of the individuals are after money, and other short term gains. They seem to think that money can buy happiness and health and national independence.  It is a question of time before this system blows up into a society of cats and dogs.
>
>  I believe that the fundamental problem lies in the educational system and we individuals.  That is natural because the system is made by people who do not have a sufficient understanding of a holistic way of life.
>
>
> However, on a positive note, I do meet individuals in New Jersey who understand this degeneration and live like Yogis despite their professional activities and family responsibilities.  My Guru gets up 2.30am to meditate! I spend 3 hours a day despite professional and family responsibilities.  There is a need for the Elite to understand that they have been blessed with a comfortable life so they could lead people and themselves to a better way of life.  Once you lead a holistic way of life, you can convince your friends --- the Elite --- of the same. Then, you can convince the public policy stakeholders and such.
>
> Please do not sacrifice the development of the Self for the sake of materialistic gains. Economic gains are meant to support Self-development, not eclipse it.  Please ponder over this.  Thank you for your consideration. Please advise me.
>
>
> Sincerely,
> --sudhakar
>
> Dr. Sudhakar Govindavajhala

No comments:

Post a Comment