Thursday, May 29, 2014

How to die

Recently, one of my dear friends passed away.  From his obituary:


Dad passed away earlier this month after a short, but brave battle with cancer. There is a great deal I will miss about him - his immense curiosity about the world around him, his wry sense of humor and his great love for people. When we learned that his illness was terminal, we would often sit together in silence. I would attempt, somewhat awkwardly, to tell him how much he meant to me. Dad, not given to excessive sentimentality, would meticulously walk me through all of his paperwork and funeral plans - he insisted that his girls conduct his antim samskaars (funeral rites). As the end came, my mother, sister and I gathered around dad; we held his hands and bid our goodbyes, strangely peaceful in the knowledge that his suffering would cease and that we hadn't left anything unsaid or undone in the end.



As I was searching for things to do at the end of one's life --- practical tips.  I came across this story where the husband leaves the dying wife so she can focus on her duties at the end of life.  Interestingly Bhagavadgita (book followed by Hindus) advises you that "whatever state one remembers at death, that state he will attain without fail.Budhism also says the same. I do not know the recommendations in Judaism, Christianity and Islam. If you know, please advise me.

King Parixit, a famous kind of India, had died listening to Srimad Bhagavatam for the last seven days of this life.

No comments:

Post a Comment